Pueblo Community Health Center (PCHC) began providing primary health care services to Pueblo’s underserved population in 1983. Originally housed on the grounds of the Colorado State Hospital, Pueblo Community Health Center moved to St. Mary-Corwin Hospital in 1986. In 1987, the organization purchased a building at 110 East Routt Avenue, which is currently where the administrative offices are located.
In 2000, the organization acquired and renovated the 2030 Lake Avenue site to further expand its capacity for dental services. Primary health care services are also provided through a satellite facility at 328 Avondale Boulevard in the rural community of Avondale; homeless patients may receive medical care at the PCHC clinic located in downtown Pueblo at 1008 North Grand Avenue.
In October 2002, the Park Hill Clinic at 1302 East Fifth Street, in the heart of Pueblo’s most underserved neighborhood, opened its doors. Three years later, a patient pharmacy was opened in the lower level of that site.
After a significant capital campaign and community effort, a brand new, 41,000 square foot clinic at 300 Colorado Avenue opened in November 2009. This state-of-the-art facility’s footprint was further expanded in 2014, adding 7,000 additional square feet and boasting an additional patient capacity of 10,000 over the next decade.
Today, with the Park Hill Clinic at capacity, PCHC is expanding its presence on the east side. Property acquired in early 2019 at East 8th Street and La Crosse Avenue is currently under construction and a new, state-of-the-art medical facility will be completed in 4th quarter 2021. The building will be the first outpatient health care clinic in Colorado listed as emerging zero energy, according to the New Building Institute. The three story facility is 64,000 square feet, will house a patient pharmacy and laboratory, primary medical, behavioral health, and dental services and has capacity to serve 24,000 patients when fully staffed.